Ottawa Weather Guide
Ottawa residents love to talk about the weather. Along with hockey and gas prices, it may be our favourite topic. This page includes a 7-day forecast, weather alerts, links to satellite and radar images, along with specialty forecasts.
- Christmas Craft Shows
A list of upcoming Christmas craft shows and bazaars in the Ottawa area. Good luck with your gift shopping!
- Christmas Light Displays
A big list of dozens of Chirstmas light displays in and around Ottawa, including Parliament Hill, Upper Canada Village, and Taffy Lane in Orleans.
- Christmas Tree Farms
A list of Christmas Tree Farms in the Ottawa area, as well as places where you can pick up a Christmas tree in and around the city.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month.
Click here to add your Featured Listing...
- Environment Canada
- Winter Storm Links (including bus cancellations, travel updates, road conditions, etc.)
- Weather Warnings
- Ian Black's forecast (from CBC Ottawa)
(also check out the full screen map)
- AccuWeather.com (includes 10-day forecast)
- CTV Ottawa Weather
- SkyMotion (offers 5-minute forecasts for your location)
- Special Weather Statements (for Ontario)
- School Bus Cancellations
- A few radar links for tracking rain, snow and other precipitation:
Weather Network Radar
Franktown Radar (Environment Canada)
Montague, NY (National Weather Service - U.S.)
Franktown Radar (Weather Underground)
Intellicast radar map (North America)
- Satellite Images (Environment Canada)
- Jet Stream / North American Weather Systems (Environment Canada)
Activity (Environment Canada)
Quality Index from the Ontario Ministry of the Environment. See also this chart showing hourly levels measured in downtown Ottawa.
- Air Quality Health Index - Gatineau and Ottawa
- Weather Network Air Quality Forecast
- Pollen Forecast (via The Weather Network)
- Smog alerts (Ontario Ministry of the Environment)
- UV Report (via The Weather Network)
- Rideau Canal Skating Conditions
- Ski 'n Ride Snowguide
This site is updated at least once a day with the latest ski conditions. There's also a swap shop, and links to "destination hills" around North America.
- Ottawa Rink Conditions
Track the condition of outdoor ice rinks around Ottawa
Mooney's Bay, Britannia Beach, Westboro Beac, Petrie Island they're all great places to cool off on a warm summer day. Each day in the summer, health officials sample beach water to test for E.coli bacteria. When the bacteria count is too high, the beaches are closed. (Related: Ottawa Swimming Guide...)
- OttawaStart Blog: Weather
See also: Our blog posts about summer and winter and fall and spring
... as well as snow and sunsets
- ottawa.weatherstats.ca (includes daily records - temperature & precipitation)
- Britannia Yacht Club webcam (includes current conditions)
- Cold Weather Tips from Ottawa Health
- Kanata Weather Observations
- National Climate Data and Information Archive
- Nepean Sailing Club conditions
- Ottawa River water levels
- Sittsville Weather
- Sunrise & sunset times (via Environment Canada)
- Sunrise & sunset times (via timeanddate.com)
- A list of places in Ottawa offering free (or low-cost) air conditioning
Libraries, movie theatres, skating rinks, and more locations to help beat the heat on a hot summer day.
- More outdoors / nature / astronomy links...
Ottawa Weather Records
- Coldest day: -36.1ºC, February 15, 1943.
- Hottest day: 37.8ºC, August 14, 1944.
- Highest rainfall, one day: 135mm, September 9, 2004.
- Highest snowfall, one day: 40.6cm, March 2, 1947.
- Average maximum temperature: 10.7ºC
- Average minimum temperature: 0.8ºC
- Daily mean temperature: 5.8ºC
- Average yearly rainfall: 701.8mm
- Average yearly snowfall: 221.5cm
- Source: National Climate Data and Information Archive
1998 Ice Storm
On January 4, 1998 the first drops of freezing rain started to fall in Eastern Canada. Ten centimetres of freezing rain fell in less than a week, destroying trees, grounding airplanes, and leaving over a million people without electricity. Check out the links below for more about the event.
The latest on Twitter