Celebrate Canalfest in Merrickville this August Long Weekend
Events & Entertainment Posted by Chris on July 10, 2012
The Merrickville Lions Club, sponsors of Canalfest, once again, are inviting everyone to come out and celebrate during Merrickville’’s annual salute to the Rideau Canal. Canalfest happens this August Long Weekend, from Saturday, August 4 to Monday, August 6. Festivities, most of which take place at Blockhouse Park, include:
- Live Music: On Saturday, Kitchen Party, which regularly tours the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario and has had four successful tours of Scotland, will be creating their own energetic toe-tapping, hand-clapping, Celtic sound. On Sunday, Juno-award-winning Steve Lund and his Mumbo Jumbo Voodoo Combo will be performing their unique brand of “Cajun-inflected psycho-blues.” Classic swing era, Latin, modern, blues, pop . . . on Monday, Big Band Ottawa, which as their name implies, has performed in big bands, as well as military and concert bands and combos throughout Ottawa and Canada, will perform. And then you can continue partying into the evening when different entertainers perform in Merrickville’s pubs and restaurants in the evening.
- Week-end Craft Show & Sale featuring jewellery, photography, pottery, metalwork, wood carvings, birdhouses, soaps, balms and body lotions, honey and other gourmet foods and more.
- Two-Day Silent Auction: On Saturday and Sunday, you can bid on valuable goods, goodies and gift certificates donated by merchants, restaurants and other businesses in the Merrickville area. Different sets of items will be auctioned each day. Proceeds go to support the Lions Club’’s various local projects.
- Canalfest Voyageur Canoe Rides: Join us on Saturday or Sunday for free Voyageur Canoe rides to our local bird sanctuary along the Rideau.
- Food: The Lions Club is pleased to announce that our local restaurants will be celebrating Canalfest and our local heritage by serving special Canalfest cuisine and cocktails all weekend. Try a Flaming Canoe, at the Yellow Canoe or a Canal Cocktail at Elements Bistro. Or the Blockhouse Pizza at the Goose & Gridiron Retaurant . . . And, of course, the Merrickville Lions will once again be hosting their "barbecue in the park."
- Children’s activities include the traditional, terrific Kids Loonie Fishing Derby on Saturday from 9:00 am to noon. You can enjoy some eco-fun with Andrea “the Bug Lady” Howard, Merrickville’s own “teacher by nature” and face painting throughout the weekend.
- Heritage Craft and Tool Demonstrations, including the hand-forged tools, local sedentary militia and musket and 19th century quilting demonstrations.
- And, take time to visit and support the Blockhouse Museum. The Museum will be open throughout Canalfest weekend.
The latest community news headlines
Search our news archive
Subscribe to OttawaStart Community News
The latest on Twitter