Ottawa City Hall Guide
Ottawa City Hall can often be more interesting than Parliament Hill. After all, our mayor and councillors make decisions on services like garbage, roads, transit and health that impact our lives directly every single day. Until recently, Ottawa was made up of several smaller cities. In 2001, the cities amalgamated into one municipality, governed by a mayor and 22-member city council. Another important political body is the National Capital Commission (NCC), which oversees federal buildings and parkland in the Nation's Capital.
- Christmas Craft Shows
A list of upcoming Christmas craft shows and bazaars in the Ottawa area. Good luck with your gift shopping!
- Christmas Light Displays
A big list of dozens of Chirstmas light displays in and around Ottawa, including Parliament Hill, Upper Canada Village, and Taffy Lane in Orleans.
- Christmas Tree Farms
A list of Christmas Tree Farms in the Ottawa area, as well as places where you can pick up a Christmas tree in and around the city.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month.
Click here to add your Featured Listing...
Inside City Hall
- The Mayor: His Worship Jim Watson
Jim Watson was elected Mayor of the City of Ottawa on October 25, 2010. First elected as a city councillor in 1991, he was also mayor of Ottawa from 1997-2000, before amalgamation. Between 2000 and 2010, he was President and CEO of the Canadian Tourism Commission, and an MPP for Ottawa West-Nepean. In 2007 he was named the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing in the Ontario Government.
Mayor Watson - or just "Jim" - is on Twitter and Facebook, and updates frequently throughout the day. He also attends a ton of events every weekend.
- City Council
There are 23 City Councillors in Ottawa, each one representing a geographical area in the city. In the 2010 municipal election, we elected 10 rookie councillors.
- Garbage & Recycling
- OC Transpo
- Roads, Parking & Transportation
- Recreation & Culture, including sports and swimming
- Health & Safety
- Police & Emergency Services
- Water & Sewers
Local Politics Blogs
(Blogs that frequently cover City Hall and other local politics)
- Climate Ottawa
- Greater Ottawa by David Reevely (Ottawa Citizen)
- Miss Vicky's Offhand Remarks (hintonburg/westboro)
- OttawaStart Blog: City Hall
- OttawaStart Blog: The Mayor
- Sun & The City (Ottawa Sun City Hall blog)
- West Side Action
By Eric Darwin, a resident of the Preston/Somerset area, and writes about issues affecting his area and the rest of downtown/urban Ottawa.
National Capital Commission
The N.C.C. is a Crown corporation that manages the land and buildings in the National Capital Region, including Ottawa and Gatineau.
More Government Links
- Alta Vista Corridor
- Cable Ferry Across the Ottawa River
- Canadian Taxpayers Federation
- Equality East Citizens Coalition
- Eye On Ottawa
- Friends of Lansdowne Park
- Imagine Ottawa
- Interprovincial Crossings
- Landsdowne Park Redevelopment
- Munster "Sewergate" Fiasco
- No Rezone Playfair
- NoRoad.ca (Alta Vista Corridor)
- Ottawa 20/20]
- Ottawa City Fairy Tales
- Ottawa Forests Advisory Committee
- The People's Voice of Ottawa
- Queensway Coalition
- Queensway Preliminary Design and Environmental Assessment Study
- Regional Association of West Quebecers
- Save Our Greenspace / Save Our Greenspace Blog
- Save Our Heritage
- Smart Growth Summit
- Social Planning Council of Ottawa-Carleton
- Stop Home Care Cuts
- The Hall Monitor (city hall blog)
The latest on Twitter