Groundhog at Strathcona Park. Photo by Sarolta Gyoker.
Ottawa Nature, Science and Gardens Guide
Ottawa owes its existence to nature. Our city is built where the Ottawa and Rideau rivers meet. Our early economy was based on our forests. And today, our recreation and tourism industries are dependent on our natural resources.
- Christmas Craft Shows
A list of upcoming Christmas craft shows and bazaars in the Ottawa area. Good luck with your gift shopping!
- Christmas Light Displays
A big list of dozens of Chirstmas light displays in and around Ottawa, including Parliament Hill, Upper Canada Village, and Taffy Lane in Orleans.
- Christmas Tree Farms
A list of Christmas Tree Farms in the Ottawa area, as well as places where you can pick up a Christmas tree in and around the city.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month.
Click here to add your Featured Listing...
OttawaStart Nature Headlines
- Waste Reduction Week encourages residents to think about what they throw away
- Open House - Collections of Museum of Nature (in Gatineau) on October 19
- Lichens - Their Place In The Natural World, Monday, October 21, 7:30 p.m.
- It's National Tree Day!
- Get your kids outside! $20,000 outdoor classroom up for grabs
- More community headlines...
- Click here to add your news...
- See also: Ottawa Green Guide
- Alfred Bog
- The Champlain Oaks
The site tells the story of two dozen trees in Ottawa's Champlain Park neighbourhood, near Island Park Drive. Some of them are estimated to be more than 200 years old, and are the descendants of a huge oak forest that would have covered the South shore of the Ottawa River.
of Ottawa: Parks
- Eastern Ontario Model Forest
- Ecology Ottawa
- Fitzroy Harbour Provincial Park
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden
- Friends of Petrie Island
- Gatineau Park
- Gatineau Park News (blog)
- The Greenbelt
- Guide Gatineau (Gatineau Park Guide)
- Macoun Field Club
- Museum of Nature
- Ottawa Field Naturalists Club
- Ottawa Forests and Greenspace Advisory Committee
- Ottawa Paleontological Society
- Outdoor Ottawa
(directory and blog about outdoor sporting and recreation)
- Richard's GPS Trail
Extensive maps of Ottawa's Greenbelt trails - perfect for planning a hike, mountian bike ride, or cross country ski trip
- Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
The only licensed facility in Eastern Ontario that cares for injured or orphaned wild animals and turtles. They also give advice on co-existing peacefully with wildlife and provides humane, cost-effective ways to prevent or solve wildlife conflicts.
- Rideau River Provincial Park
- Save Our Greenspace
- South March Highlands
- Wildlife Habitat Canada
- Related: Weather Guide
Gardens & Plants
- Related: See a list of Ottawa landscaping companies on our
Home Services & Renovation Guide...
- Acorn Creek Garden Farm
- Agrotourism Ottawa
- Brantin Country Garden Centre
- The Canadian Gardener
- Creekside Gardens
- Friends of the Central Experimental Farm
- Greater Ottawa Water Garden Society
- The Herb Garden
- Jan's Garden
- Maplelawn Historic Garden
- Mondus Garden Decor
- Ontario Weeds
- Ottawa Botanical Garden Society
- Ottawa Orchid Society
- Ottawa Community Garden
- Ottawa Horticultural Society
- Ottawa Hortiphilia
- Sunflower Farm CSA
- Wind Spinners
Rivers & Waterways
- Friends of the Carp River
- Friends of the Jock River
- Ottawa River Regulation Planning Board
- Ottawa Riverkeeper
- The Nature of the Rideau River
This Web site was created by the Museum of Nature to chronicle the biodiversity of the Rideau River. The Nature of the Rideau River is based on the results of a three-year study of the Rideau River system, which winds its way for about 100 km through the forests, woodlands and rural and urban areas of Eastern Ontario.
- Rideau Canal
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
- See also: Ottawa Boating & Fishing Guide...
- Please see our Ottawa Apple Picking Guide...
- Pleas see our Ottawa Pumpkin Guide...
Science & Astronomy
- Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
- Ottawa Valley Astronomy & Observers Group (OAOG)
- Pars3C (astronomy / science blog)
- Staring into Space (blog)
Christmas Tree Farms
- Please see our new Christmas Tree Guide
Please see our list of Sugar Bushes in Ottawa and Gatineau...
The latest on Twitter