Groundhog at Strathcona Park. Photo by Sarolta Gyoker.
Ottawa Nature, Science and Gardens Guide
Ottawa owes its existence to nature. Our city is built where the Ottawa and Rideau rivers meet. Our early economy was based on our forests. And today, our recreation and tourism industries are dependent on our natural resources.
- OttawaStart Apple Guide
A list of pick-your-own apple orchards around the Ottawa area. Apple season in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec usually runs between late August and mid-October. All of these locations are within about an hour from Ottawa.
Stittsville is a rapidly growing suburb in western Ottawa that's expected to reach 70,000 residents in the next 20 years. StittsvilleCentral.ca is a new site covering the people, businesses and issues that are important in the community.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for as low as $15/month.
Click here to add your Featured Listing...
OttawaStart Nature Headlines
- Sat. Oct. 18 FREE Bells Corners ECO-Fair back for a fourth year - thousands expected
- Free Open House October 18 showcases Canada's national natural history collections
- Carleton University Biology Butterfly Show is Back for Another Year - Oct 4-13, 2014
- Gorilla Doctors documentary screens October 9 at Museum of Nature
- It's Not Ea$sy Being Gree - Eco-Fair - October 18, 2014
- More community headlines...
- Click here to add your news...
- See also: Ottawa Green Guide
- Alfred Bog
- The Champlain Oaks
The site tells the story of two dozen trees in Ottawa's Champlain Park neighbourhood, near Island Park Drive. Some of them are estimated to be more than 200 years old, and are the descendants of a huge oak forest that would have covered the South shore of the Ottawa River.
of Ottawa: Parks
- Eastern Ontario Model Forest
- Ecology Ottawa
- Fitzroy Harbour Provincial Park
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden
- Friends of Petrie Island
- Gatineau Park
- Gatineau Park News (blog)
- The Gilligallou Bird Store
- The Greenbelt
- Guide Gatineau (Gatineau Park Guide)
- Macoun Field Club
- Museum of Nature
- Ottawa Field Naturalists Club
- Ottawa Forests and Greenspace Advisory Committee
- Ottawa Paleontological Society
- Outdoor Ottawa
(directory and blog about outdoor sporting and recreation)
- Richard's GPS Trail
Extensive maps of Ottawa's Greenbelt trails - perfect for planning a hike, mountian bike ride, or cross country ski trip
- Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
The only licensed facility in Eastern Ontario that cares for injured or orphaned wild animals and turtles. They also give advice on co-existing peacefully with wildlife and provides humane, cost-effective ways to prevent or solve wildlife conflicts.
- Rideau River Provincial Park
- Save Our Greenspace
- South March Highlands
- Wildlife Habitat Canada
- Related: Weather Guide
Gardens & Plants
- Related: See a list of Ottawa landscaping companies on our
Home Services & Renovation Guide...
- Acorn Creek Garden Farm
- Agrotourism Ottawa
- Brantin Country Garden Centre
- The Canadian Gardener
- Creekside Gardens
- Friends of the Central Experimental Farm
- Greater Ottawa Water Garden Society
- The Herb Garden
- Jan's Garden
- Maplelawn Historic Garden
- Mondus Garden Decor
- Ontario Weeds
- Ottawa Botanical Garden Society
- Ottawa Orchid Society
- Ottawa Community Garden
- Ottawa Horticultural Society
- Ottawa Hortiphilia
- Sunflower Farm CSA
- Wind Spinners
Rivers & Waterways
- Friends of the Carp River
- Friends of the Jock River
- Ottawa River Regulation Planning Board
- Ottawa Riverkeeper
- The Nature of the Rideau River
This Web site was created by the Museum of Nature to chronicle the biodiversity of the Rideau River. The Nature of the Rideau River is based on the results of a three-year study of the Rideau River system, which winds its way for about 100 km through the forests, woodlands and rural and urban areas of Eastern Ontario.
- Rideau Canal
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
- The Water Chronicles
- See also: Ottawa Boating & Fishing Guide...
- Please see our Ottawa Apple Picking Guide...
- Pleas see our Ottawa Pumpkin Guide...
Science & Astronomy
- Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
- Ottawa Valley Astronomy & Observers Group (OAOG)
- Pars3C (astronomy / science blog)
- Staring into Space (blog)
Christmas Tree Farms
- Please see our new Christmas Tree Guide
Please see our list of Sugar Bushes in Ottawa and Gatineau...
The latest on Twitter