The Changing of the Guard on Parliament Hill. Photo
by Glen Gower.
Ottawa's Changing of the Guard on Parliament Hill
Every summer morning at 10:00am, the Changing of the Guard takes place on Parliament Hill. It's a pageantry of marching music and military drills performed by the Ceremonial Guard.
- Time Tripper
Travel isn’t just about going somewhere, it’s about experience. Why passively visit a place, taking in the sights but not really immersing in the culture? Time travel is changing the way we vacation! For just one month– as the time portal is limited – you can experience the wonders of life 200 years ago in Upper Canada.
- Spencerville Mill Heritage Fair: June 21-23, 2013
A living history retreat with Regency ball, Guinness Record Attempt, workshops (Dying in Battle, Duelling, Period Cooking, and more) and Skirmish.
- Sears Travel
Whether you’re looking for tours in Ottawa or resorts on a tropical island, let the travel experts help you find the best vacation deals.
- Ottawa Hotels Guide
Make your reservation at one of dozens
of hotels in the Ottawa area. Hotels in Downtown, Gatineau, Kanata and the surrounding area.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month..
Click here to add your Featured Listing...
More about the ceremony
June 26 to August 23, 2012 (daily) – 10 am to 10:30 am, weather permitting
Preceded by a brief introduction at 9:45 am
- Arrive early for the best spot on the
grass of Parliament Hill. Admission is free.
- The ceremony is performed by the Ceremonial Guard. Every guardsman, musician and member of the support staff is a trained soldier of the Canadian Forces on regular or reserve service.
- The event actually begins off the hill, with a parade from the Cartier Square Drill Hall (Laurier Avenue near the Rideau Canal), down Laurier and Elgin Street past the War Memorial, and then up on Wellington Street to Parliament Hill.
- A similar ceremony caled the "Relief
of the Sentires as Guards" takes place daily at Rideau Hall,
the residence of the Governer General. Every hour, guards march to their posts in
front of the residence, accompanied by a bagpiper.
- For more info, visit the official Ceremonial Guard info site, or the Ceremonial Guard page on Wikipedia.
- Fortissimo is an annual military and musical spectacular created for the lawns of Parliament Hill featuring massed military bands, pipes and drums, guest performers and the soldiers of the Ceremonial Guard.
- It happens August 9, 10 and 11, 2012 at 7:00pm.
- For more info, visit the official Fortissimo site.