The Changing of the Guard on Parliament Hill. Photo by Glen Gower.
Ottawa's Changing of the Guard on Parliament Hill
Every summer morning at 10:00am, the Changing of the Guard takes place on Parliament Hill. It's a pageantry of marching music and military drills performed by the Ceremonial Guard.
Whether you’re looking for tours in Ottawa or resorts on a tropical island, let the travel experts help you find the best vacation deals.
- Beacon Hill Motel
Hill Just 10 km from Ottawa city centre, this motel offers flexible check-in and free local calls in all rooms. A 27-inch cable TV is provided in all rooms at Beacon Hill Motel. Rooms are equipped with windows that open as well as individual climate control or central air conditioning and heating. Free parking is available at the front door of each guest room and 24 hour reception. Parliament Buildings, downtown, and tourist areas are 10 min away
Make your reservation at one of dozens of hotels in the Ottawa area. Hotels in Downtown, Gatineau, Kanata and the surrounding area.
- Make your business stand out from the rest for just $15/month. Click here to add your Featured Listing...
More about the ceremony
- From June 24 to August 24, 2013, 10 am to 10:30 am,
Preceded by a brief introduction at 9:45 am
- Arrive early for the best spot on the grass of Parliament Hill. Admission is free.
- The ceremony is performed by the Ceremonial Guard. Every guardsman, musician and member of the support staff is a trained soldier of the Canadian Forces on regular or reserve service.
- The event actually begins off the hill, with a parade from the Cartier Square Drill Hall (Laurier Avenue near the Rideau Canal), down Laurier and Elgin Street past the War Memorial, and then up on Wellington Street to Parliament Hill.
- A similar ceremony caled the "Relief of the Sentries as Guards" takes place daily at Rideau Hall, the residence of the Governer General. Every hour, guards march to their posts in front of the residence, accompanied by a bagpiper.
- For more info, visit the official Ceremonial Guard info site, or the Ceremonial Guard page on Wikipedia.
- Fortissimo is an annual military and musical spectacular created for the lawns of Parliament Hill featuring massed military bands, pipes and drums, guest performers and the soldiers of the Ceremonial Guard.
- It happens August 9, 10 and 11, 2012 at 7:00pm.
- For more info, visit the official Fortissimo site.
The latest on Twitter