News and notes from the editors of OttawaStart
Related: Check out our big list of Ottawa Blogs...
Free community news & event listings.
Add your community news.
- Change your clocks – change your batteries – change your food
The City of Ottawa wants to remind you to replace batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, both at home and at the cottage, when setting your clocks ahead one hour on Sunday.
- Upcoming ramp closures and lane reductions on Highways 417 and 174
Starting Sunday, March 9 until Sunday, March 16 there will be off-peak lane reductions on Highway 417 in both directions between Nicholas Street and the Highway 417/174 split and between Parkdale Avenue and Rochester Street.
- Senators announce teams for Sens Skills presented by Sport Chek
The Ottawa Senators announced today the rosters for Team White (Jason Spezza) and Team Black (Chris Phillips) for this year's Sens Skills competition, presented by Sport Chek, which will take place at Canadian Tire Centre on Wednesday, March 12 at 7 p.m
- Lane reductions will impact section of Rideau Street
Starting Monday, March 10, traffic on Rideau Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction where it intersects with Wurtemburg Street just west of Cummings Bridge.
- Extra tax savings for first-time donors!
The new first-time donor's super credit (FDSC) supplements the value of the charitable donations tax credit (CDTC) by 25% on donations made by a first-time donor.
- Ice blasting to take place on the Rideau River
Media are invited to watch ice blasting on the Rideau River. Each year, the City’s Public Works Department undertakes ice breaking operations near the Rideau Falls to alleviate possible spring flooding in flood-prone areas.
- Ottawa students bite into healthy eating with the Great Big Crunch
Today, Mayor Jim Watson and Ottawa Public Health (OPH) launched the start of National Nutrition Month with more than 300 students and staff from École élémentaire catholique Horizon-Jeunesse.
- Canadian Tire Centre Upcoming Events
Canadian Tire Centre (@CdnTireCtr), Ottawa's premier sports and entertainment venue, is presenting the following events between March 6 and July 24, 2014.
- Ottawa Police wants to identify suspect of Assault causing bodily harm
The Ottawa Police Service West District Investigators are looking for witnesses in relation to an assault that took place on Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at approx. 10:20pm outside of Buster’s Bar & Grill located in the 2500 block of Carling Avenue.
- Confirmed case of measles in Ottawa
Ottawa Public Health (OPH) is investigating a lab-confirmed case of measles in an unimmunized child. The patient acquired the illness during travel to the Philippines, which is currently experiencing a significant and widespread measles outbreak.
- OC Transpo operates revised schedules for March Break
OC Transpo service will operate on a reduced weekday schedule during the March Break (March 10 to 14) when schools are closed.
- Live frogs and tons of fun, hands-on science all at the Canadian Museum of Nature during March Break
Live frogs and tons of fun, hands-on science all at the Canadian Museum of Nature during March Break. Until March 16, 2014. Address: 240 McLeod Street.
- March 15: "LowerTown" Book Launch
Book launch party at Peter Devine's, 73 Clarence St (ByWard Market), Saturday, March 15 from 2-5pm: Ottawa author Darren Jerome's new novel about Bytown's rough past. Poster: http://www.merlindesigns.ca/img_art/book_launch.pdf
- Cult rock musical Hedwig And The Angry Inch coming to Ottawa's Gladstone Theatre, April 2-5!
Vanity Project Productions Hedwig and the Angry Inch April 3�5, 2014 at 7:30 pm ( with preview April 2) late show Friday April 4 at 10 pm The Gladstone Theatre Music and lyrics by Stephen Trask Text by John Cameron Mitchell
- Read all the recent headlines...
A comic by Ottawa artist Andrew King. Watch for a new one every Monday morning. Previously...
Tweets from @ottawastart/best-of-ottawa
Rideau Canal Skateway at Bank Street. . Photo by Glen Gower.
We want your photos! If you have a great pic of life in Ottawa, send it to us at email@example.com or add it to the OttawaStart Flickr Group. Your photo could be featured on our homepage!
Follow us on Twitter: @ottawastart
The latest on Twitter