News and notes from the editors of OttawaStart
Related: Check out our big list of Ottawa Blogs...
Free community news & event listings.
Add your community news.
- Blyth Academy Information Evening- Oct. 8- 7pm-8pm
Learn about our unique private school programming and tour the school.
- Oct 24-26, 2014: Poutine Fest on Sparks Street
Join us on Sparks Street for four fabulous days of Fries, Curds and Gravy Friday, October 24 through Sunday, October 26, 2014
- Sept 25-28, 2014: Ribtoberfest on Sparks Street
Four glorious days. Ribs. Chicken. BBQ sauce. Your stomach can’t wait!
- Anti-Human Trafficking Event - Saturday. Sept. 27
Be a part of the solution to end slavery in Canada at the inaugural [free-them] Freedom Walk Sept. 27th! Hear from some of Canada's greatest voices on the issue of human trafficking. www.FreeThemWalkOttawa.ca
- Messiah presented by St. Matthew's
Sat. Nov. 22, 7 pm & Sun. Nov. 23, 2 pm. Handel�s superb oratorio with large choir & orchestra, director Kirkland Adsett. Soloists: Jennifer Taverner, Lydia Piehl, James McLean, Geoffrey Sirett. $15-$40. 130 Glebe Ave. nr Bank St. www.stmatthewsottawa.ca
- 9 RUN RUN Ottawa’s Emergency Services Run/Walk - October 18 2014
Now in its 5th year, having raised over $100, 000 in support of youth programs in our community, the 9 Run Run brings together runners, walkers, volunteers and spectators, through its partnership with the Ottawa Police, Paramedics and Fire Departments.
- CFUW/Nepean meeting, October 7, re History and Needs of Children in Madagascar
CFUW/Nepean presents a talk on History and Needs of Children in Madagascar.
- Poland And Canada Take Top Prizes At The Ottawa International Animation Festival 2014
The Ottawa International Animation Festival (OIAF) competition component has come to an end with the highly anticipated award ceremonies, which were held this evening at St. Brigid’s Centre for the Arts.
- Night of Elegance - Red Carpet Champagne Gala
You are invited to join St. Vincent and the Grenadines 35th Anniversary of Independence Hosted by the SVG Ottawa Association.
- Ottawa Band Crunchy Flower release debut album Volume 1: Planting Seeds - CD Release Sunday Sept 21 @ Greenfield's 4pm Matinee Show
Crunchy Flower recently released their debut album and will be having its CD Release party at Greenfields Pub on Sunday September 21st @4pm - 8pm
- Watson commits to lower property tax cap of 2%
In a major speech today, Jim Watson committed to lowering the annual property tax cap from 2.5% to 2% in his second term.
- City facilities offer free Try It! passes
The City of Ottawa is offering free passes for City fitness facilities and various classes during the Try It! campaign from September 22 to 28.
- Meetings at Ottawa City Hall next week
All public meetings will be held at Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West, unless otherwise noted. For a complete agenda and updates, please sign up for e-mail alerts or visit Public Meetings and Notices on ottawa.ca, or call 3-1-1.
- Rescheduled – Lane reductions on the Vanier Parkway
Beginning Monday, September 22 until mid-October, the Vanier Parkway will be reduced to a single lane in each direction between Coventry Road and Tremblay Road.
- Read all the recent headlines...
A comic by Ottawa artist Andrew King. Watch for a new one every Monday morning. Previously...
Tweets from @ottawastart/best-of-ottawa
Colourful Mask by Alan Wainwright, from the OttawaStart Flickr Group
We want your photos! If you have a great pic of life in Ottawa, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or add it to the OttawaStart Flickr Group. Your photo could be featured on our homepage!
Follow us on Twitter: @ottawastart
The latest on Twitter